Halsinakai/Jackfruit is one of the Royal Fruit available and one of the fruit which is cooked as vegetable.I love this fruit because of its color and taste.It can been just eaten or with a little bit of Honey or can be cooked and made a sambar out of it.When i use to visit my Aunt's house she used to prepare this Sambar with some Papads to go along with,its heavenly.Its a very heavy meal, so it should be prepared occassionally.
When picking a jackfruit see to it that u pick an unripe jackfruit piece for sambar as ripe one is sweet and will not taste good in sambar.If u buy canned jackfruit add a little more spice than usual without the water/syrup inside it.
1cup/1canned Jackfruit(peeled and cleaned)
1/2cup Toovar dal
2tsp Sambar Powder
1/2tsp Tamarind Paste
1tbsp Fresh grated coconut
1/tsp Urad dal
1tsp Mustard seeds
4-5 Roasted Pepper corns(dry roast the peppercorns in small vessel before grinding)
3-4 curry leaves
1-2 Red chilles
- Seperate the Fruit and seeds and dry the seeds in sun for a day or two so it leaves the outer skin.
- Pressure Cook the Dal and Jackfruit with dried seeds for 3 whishles.
- Grind coconut, Sambar powder and roasted peppercorns into a fine paste.
- Put the dal, jackfruit, 1 cup water in a vessel and bring to aboil.
- Add tamarind, jaggery,salt and grinded paste and bring to a boil.
- Put some oil in a small kadai and when it gets hot add mustard seeds, curry leaves, red chilles and hing and pour it into Sambar.
- Serve hot with Rice.