Friday, April 9, 2010

Indian Pav/ Dinner Rolls

Pav....at home??you all must be thinking why would u do it at home when u can get it in store for an affordable rate. I also thought the same when I saw this entry in DK's Blog. But looking at those amazing pictures and so good step-by-step explanation I was carried away to try this at home. I really wanted to see 'is it that easy?' I have never baked a bread at home so far. But believe me its that easy and taste's way better than the store bought. Mine was super soft and perfect. If u have a day which u wanna bake try this. You can refer the method and ingredients in DK's blog but for my future reference I shall have the method and recipe. I haven't changed anything in the recipe, since it was my first attempt in baking a dinner roll and I wouldn't do it either now.

Ingredients:

3 cups Bread flour ( or use all purpose flour) plus few more for dusting
1 packet/21/4tsp Dry active yeast
1/4 cup lukewarm water
1-1/4 cups milk
3 tbsp butter
2 tbsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt
Method:

First warm the milk and add the butter and let it melt. Meanwhile take the yeast in a cup and add sugar and warm water and set aside for 10 mins so it rises. Now take a bowl and add the bread flour and salt and mix well. Combine the Milk and butter mixture slowly and then add it to the flour and mix well. It will be pretty sticky don't add any more flour to it. Now the flour the counter and put this sticky dough and start knead the dough, till the stickiness is gone. For about10-15 mins. Now grease a bowl and place this dough and cover it with a plastic wrap and let it rise double in volume.

Once its raised well take it out on a floured counter and roll into a square shape. Cut it into 12 equal parts and make a ball shaped with each piece. Place them on a baking sheet about11/2 inches apart. Let it raise again till they stick to each other. Pre heat the oven to 350*F and bake for about 25mins or till its golden in color. Let it cool for 10 mins before serving. We had this with Bhajji and it was awesome.

Thanks DK for this wonderful recipe. I was very excited it turned out great.

Note: Use Bread flour and dont replace it with APF. It makes a lot of difference.

7 comments:

  1. wow, I never tried this at home, you have baked to perfection,looks so lovely and yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even i prepared one this dinner rolls at home, looks prefect and awesome..

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really like pav baji..if i get a chance to prepare the pav at home sure will try this..thanks for sharing such a recipe
    Looks so delicious..very spongy..sure it came out really good i can feel the taste too

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also like making pav and home than buying from a store. Your pav came out pretty good,also nice texture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pav looks so perfect! Infact way better than the readymade ones! I have been wanting to make these at home for a long time but never got around it, bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It came out lovely Soumya... Shilpa who tasted this bun at your home, was full of praise for you. I am calling to get verbal instruction for this bun :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks...yeah Shilpa got a chance to taste it. I happy to hear a good review ;)

    ReplyDelete

Its so nice of you to take time and leave a note for me, i appreciate it.I hope u have a wonderful day!

Foodbuzz